for EU election observation
When announcing the date of elections
in May 2002, President Musharraf invited foreign observers to witness
the process of the elections. Officials of the European Community
(EU) were the first to arrive: they started pouring in from August
4. On Septermber 11, they announced the following criteria for observing
the process of the elections.
- The degree of impartiality shown by the Election
Commission of Pakistan and election officials.
- The degree of freedom of political parties and
candidates to organize, move, assembly and express their views
- The fairness of access for political parties and
candidates to the media, in particular the state media.
- The manner in which registration of the voters
- Any other issue concerning the essential freedom
and fairness of the election.
- The conduct of polling and counting of votes.
Source: Dawn (Karachi). September 12, 2002.
Back to Top
Search the Republic of Rumi